Orbital-Steampunk Goggles

As some of you know I like my dance music and I love listening to Orbital (especially Chime) and I’ve always wanted a pair of their funky glasses.

But I also like steampunk, which of course means that I also love goggles. So what could be more natural then a combination of the two?

To be honest this isn’t much of a mod, more a tweak really, but it’s quick and easy, and cheap if you already have the paints hanging around.

Equipment:

  • Halcyon goggles (Halcyon Classic Parts)
  • LED safety specs (Maplin)
  • Spray paints (grey primer & metallic gold)
  • Paint touch-up pen (metallic green)
  • Cross-headed screwdriver
  • Small diameter drill of some kind
  • Blu-tac
  • Small file or emery board

First of all I bought a shiny pair of goggles from Halcyon Classic Parts. These are gorgeous on their own!

Then I bought a pair of LED lighted safety specs from Maplin for just £4 (bargain):

These might have been end-of-line because I couldn’t find any on-line to link to, but there were still a few pairs in my local shop the last time I popped in.

To start with the specs were very easy to take apart:

Until I got to the battery. I wanted to spray paint the plastic casing to make it look like brass and my original plan was to remove everything, but it seemed to be glued in. So, Plan-B involved sticking blu-tac over the LED and switch:

Next up, I bought some plastic buckles from B&Q. I decided not to paint these because they would probably be hidden by the goggle straps and I thought the paint might just flake off anyway.

I drilled a small hole in the centre of the middle bar for the screw that originally fixed the light to the safety specs. I then started drilling away at the end of the middle bar to create a gap – this would allow the buckle to slip over the goggles strap:

I whittled away and filed down the rough edges using an emery board I luckily found in the kitchen cupboard:

Here’s a close-up if that didn’t make sense (click on the image to zoom in):

Now for the paint. First of all I used a grey primer that’s designed to be sprayed onto plastics (from my local auto-supplies shop). I allowed this to dry for 24 hours before starting to apply the top coat of metallic gold. I had to apply two or three times, turning the lights over each time until they were evenly coated:

I had to take it easy at this point because the metallic paint is very thick and ran all over the place if I applied too much in one go.

Now for the verdigris. I’ve used this technique before on my steampunk NERF pistol and it looks great. Using a ‘dry brushing’ technique, I started by spotting some metallic paint onto a disposable surface, dabbed a brush in it, rubbed most of it off then brushed each light until I could see a faint greening on the edges of the gold paint:

The green shows a lot more brightly in the photos than in real life where it is barely noticeable, but just enough for it to look weathered.

I then removed the blu-tac, popped the screws back in and attached the buckle to each light:

Finally I slid the buckles onto the straps on either side of the goggles:

And voila!

One pair of Orbital-steampunk goggles.

Comments

  1. So cool! :)) You’re an amazing handyman!!

Trackbacks

  1. […] Thanks to Dave for modelling my steampunk goggles… […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: